- 1/2 rice bowl measure of rice (rinsed and soaked in
water for 15 minutes)
- 1 leg of chicken
- 3 cm ginger (slice thinly)
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 egg
- chopped spring onions
- 4 shallots (sliced thinly and fried until golden
- light soy sauce
- White pepper powder
- sesame oil
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan with water and
add in ginger, salt and bring to boil. Then allow
simmering for approximately 45 - 50 minutes until
the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken and
reserve the stock.
- Remove the skin from the chicken. Shred the meat
with finger tips.
- Place rice in pot. Add chicken stock and bring to
boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and stir
occasionally until rice grains cooked and have
- Add in egg, you can either break the egg by stirring
it or just cover the egg with porridge. Switch off
heat and close lid and allow standing for 15
- Pour onto serving bowls, top up with white pepper
powder, few drops of sesame oil, some shredded
chicken, spring onions and fried shallots.
- Seasoning with light soy sauce if needed. Serve hot.